Monday, March 12, 2007

My Mother-in-Law - Model Citizen

My mother-in-law was asking me about my husband's citizenship status the other day.  I told her that he was in the last stage of the process to become a citizen. She seemed very excited at the news.  "You know why I am asking you, molu?", she said. "Because once he gets his citizenship, I want him to make me a US citizen, too.  It has long been a dream of mine to be an American citizen."

My nationalist heartstrings pulled, I asked her why that was... what slice of Americana did she savor the most - the Pilgrims, the Innovators, the Bill of Rights, the largely uncorrupt police practices, the egalitarian way most of us treat each other ...

I was torn from my reverie when she confided, "Jillu, you know if I had a US passport, I could just take a flight to Dubai, Doha, London, Paris, ANY PLACE without worrying about getting a VISA."

No comments: