Monday, March 12, 2007

Re-Pats and Manholes

I have been back in the US almost a week and I feel like a foreigner in my own country. The appliances work so fast. I can't keep up with the toaster.

Whenever I shut off the TV, my daughter says "Current GONE!"   We will keep that little effect going for a while.

In our brand spanking new development, there are signs that say "Raised Manholes."  I kept looking for them and couldn't see them.  Then the other day I noticed them - they are raised but they have paved a slope around these manholes so that when you drive over them, you won't feel a jolt.  WOW!   To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee - that's not a raised manhole, i'll show you a raised manhole!" 

I miss the open manholes of Bangalore.  I used to have to give a wide berth to a 4x4x4 foot gaping hole in the sidewalk at the intersection of 12th Main and 100 Foot Road in Indiranagar.  When I first arrived, I was sure they would fill it in any day now...18 months later it is still reliably wide open.

In one neighborhood of Bangalore, where there is a home for blind people, "miscreants" were removing manhole covers - you can just imagine the twisted Tom N Jerry mindset of said "miscreants."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, love your blog. But could you please syndicate your site in FULL? So it can be read using newsreaders. Thanks!